Psychometric Properties of the HFS
The Heartland Forgiveness Scale (HFS):
- Measures a person’s dispositional forgiveness of self, others, and situations beyond anyone’s control (e.g., a natural disaster or illness).
- Is a self-report questionnaire.
- Can be completed with paper and pencil or on the computer.
- Has 18 items.
- Consists of the Total HFS and 3 subscales:
- Total HFS (18 items)
- Forgiveness of Self (6 items)
- Forgiveness of Others (6 items)
- Forgiveness of Situations (6 items)
- Has demonstrated desirable psychometric properties.
- Convergent validity
- Satisfactory internal consistency reliability
- Strong test-retest reliability
- A clear and consistent factor structure that supports the assertion that the HFS assesses forgiveness of self, others, and situations, and also the overarching construct of the disposition to grant forgiveness